Saturday, June 9, 2012

I almost can't believe it has only been 1 week since my parents departure to Hawaii.  In a lot of ways it seems like it has been longer.  I hope the next 100 weeks go by faster than the first...haha...
They are enjoying their "temporary" apartment so much they are trying to negotiate to stay there permanently.  Perhaps it is because they didn't like the studio apartment in the "not so nice" part of town that my dad said was so small they would have to get a storage unit for their suitcases.  So the people at the mission home said no problem they would find them something more suitable....well the next option was the "old folks home" while it was bigger than the studio apartment it had no kitchen and only a small fridge.  They were told they could eat in the cafeteria with the residents there but with my Dad's diabetes that didn't seem like a good option to be eating cafeteria food for 2 years.  I have to admit I couldn't stop laughing when my mom called and told me that the old folks home was an options and even better we could get our own room there when we came to visit for only $60 a night...and we could eat in the cafeteria too :)

They were going to take a look at some apartments near BYU Hawaii and hopefully they will find something that will work for them.

They have been put to work right away.  Their first Sunday there they met with the 3 Bishops and Stake President of the area they are over.  They have been asked to help reactivate a certain area where there have been some hurt feelings regarding the church.  My mom was meeting with the Relief Society President yesterday...I'm sure she had some good ideas for her :)

My mom went on a walk their 2nd day there and got lost and ended up having her first contact discussion with the woman who helped her figure out how to get back home.  She got her name and phone number and was planning to go back and visit her.

They are enjoying the beautiful scenery and the wonderful people they are working with...now if they could just find an apartment so they could unpack and get settled.

But you can still send anything you need to the mission home address.

Aloha---Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment